Speakers from a variety of think-tanks and development organisations explained what was needed (essentially the Lifeboat scenario) and noted that the UN process is not on track to deliver it.
So far as I can see the climate change policies of the developed and some developing nations may be summarised as follows:
- We will set greenhouse gas emissions targets that are not strict enough to avoid catastrophic climate change.
- We will fail to meet those targets.
- We will promise the poorest countries the money to adapt to the climate change we are causing.
- We will set the amounts at less than is needed to adapt.
- We will fail to provide the amounts we promise, and
- We will call much of its loans and later demand repayment.
- We will promise to provide adaptation funds from the Carbon Trading market
- We will cheat in allocating quotas.